Friday, February 1, 2013

5 Ways to Take the Focus Off of Fear

I've learned and I believe that in order for fear not to be forefront, we need to focus on Him.

My aunt talked about the fact that we choose our Master. So true.

If we focus on fear, we are giving the enemy control.
If we focus on faith, we are choosing God.

Joyce Meyer says:
  • "Simply put, fear is the opposite of faith."
  • "If you stay busy thinking about right things, the devil won't be able to fill your mind with wrong things."
  • "... we can choose what we think about."

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. - Colossians 3:2


I don't know if it was something my aunt said or if our conversation sparked me to put it like this:
Focusing on Him helps take the focus off of fear.

Here are some ways to focus on Him:

1) FOCUS ON FAITH-RELATED THINGS
This is something that is important to do all of the time but, right now, I'm talking about times when fear tries to take over. Whether the fear is just beginning to creep in or it's in full-blown attack, I believe focusing on faith-related things can help:

- listen to Christian music
- read His Word
- listen to a sermon podcast
- PRAY
- other

It helps me to focus on faith-related things rather than difficult and scary circumstances.

2) BE A VESSEL FOR HIM
I've learned to pray about God working through me. I want to try to pray that specifically more often because, as a Christian, we want God to work through us all of the time. It is such a blessing for Him to work through us! And, when He makes it known to us that He worked through us... wow!

You could try praying for this when you are feeling fear about a situation/circumstance. I think fear has a difficult time surfacing when we are focused on being a vessel for God to work through.

3) HELP LEAD PEOPLE TO CHRIST
We can help lead people to Christ in spoken and unspoken ways... both intentionally, as well as unintentionally.

It helps me to look at a circumstance/situation as an opportunity.

4) HE IS WITH YOU
I've heard (in a sermon and/or elsewhere) that God's Word tells us over and over not to fear because He is with us.

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. - Isaiah 41:10


(See also Deuteronomy 31:6, 1 Chronicles 28:20, and Joshua 1:9)

5) SEEK HIM

One of my favorite verses is:

And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. - Jeremiah 29:13


I love it because it's true. Seek Him diligently... "with all your heart". If you seek Him, you WILL find Him.

I've had many experiences where I believe God has made His presence known to me. One word: JOY

In Your presence is fullness of joy - Psalm 16:11(b)


God can make His presence known and give joy even in the midst of a really difficult time.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:


Two very difficult days during this past year (as well as the hours leading up to those 2 days), I had a lot of fears that were associated with the situation/circumstances.

I'm not going to say fear didn't still take over alot, but...

I focused on my faith.
I listened to Christian music.
I prayed.
I read His Word.
God worked through me.
He made His presence known to me.
I felt the "nudge" of the Holy Spirit.
I memorized Isaiah 41:10.
I seeked Him.
I had a faith-related conversation with someone I had just met in that time period.
I experienced joy!

If I hadn't focused on my faith... fear would have been forefront a lot more and those two days would have been a lot more difficult. AND... I would have missed out on SO much of what God did and His blessings! There was SO much LIGHT amidst the darkness! Those two days were very difficult and, yet, VERY amazing. I am thankful for my faith. God is good.

Fear does not bring forth strength. Faith does (through God - see Philippians 4:13)

Fear ... Enemy ... Darkness
Faith ... God ... Light

You choose.

And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. - John 1:5


P.S. I love the pic below that I found online. "Replace fear with Faith" Those are good words!


No comments:

Post a Comment