Monday, January 21, 2013

A Lamp

I read a quote today and it reminded me of a sermon titled 'The Lamp', which is about the following verse:

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. - Psalm 119:105


I re-listened to the sermon and, in it, Pastor Josh Turner says the following things:
  • A lamp will only show you your next two to three steps.
  • God gives us a lamp. But I think, for so many of us, what we really want is we really want a flashlight because, with a flashlight, I can see the destination.
  • And, if I can see the destination, I can figure out the path to get there.
  • ... we would choose the path of least resistance. We would choose the easiest path.
  • But, the problem is, is if you chose your way and your path, by the time you got to the destination, you wouldn't be who God had called you to be, because you would've trusted in your ways and and not God's ways.
  • ... we need to go through some trials in our life to draw us closer to Him, so that we can learn to trust, that we can learn to rely, and that we can learn to lean on Him.
  • ... as we walk on this earth, as we walk through trials, as we walk though hard times, as we walk through the good times... ... God is using every instance, every situation, everything that you go through in your life, to shape and mold you to be more like His Son, Jesus Christ.
  • And, that's why I'm so thankful that God didn't give me a flashlight.
  • If you follow the Word of God, God will show you your next two to three steps.
  • And, see, what happens is, is I will take two to three steps. And then I'll still have the lamp and the lamp will continue to light my next two to three steps.
  • God will continually light your next two to three steps.
  • I'm thankful that I had to have a lamp to trust God and walk with God every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment